Refuse to pay back-pay

I work for a major entertainment company here in LA as a computer analyst. Recently several of us have been re-classified as non-exempt due to a mis-classification. Since we have been working 45 hours a week, we feel we are due the two years of back-pay for overtime already worked in accordance with FLSA. Our employer only wants to pay eight months and have us sign a waiver releasing them from further liability. What recourse do we (~30 people) have?

2 answers  |  asked Aug 27, 2002 2:38 PM [EST]  |  applies to California

Answers (2)

Janet M. Koehn

if you are in southern california, please call me for an appointment.
janet m. koehn

posted by Janet M. Koehn  |  Aug 27, 2002 7:19 PM [EST]
Geoff Morris

Your assumption is correct. You do have a right to ask for all of the overtime you have worked, but have not been paid as a result of your employers misclasification. If your employer refuses to pay this overtime, you and your co-employees can file a claim with the Dept of Labor Standards Enforcement. It is illegal for your employer to try to take any adverse employment action against you or your co-employees for attempting to enforce your rights. If you would like to discuss this matter further you can reach me at 949-727-2630.
Geoff Morris

posted by Geoff Morris  |  Aug 27, 2002 4:55 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers