Can my former employer refuse to pay my severance until I leave the state?

I worked on a large estate and was paid a salary. A residence was also provided. When I was terminated I was offered one month's pay as severance. The employer required that I sign a letter stating that I was to receive half of that money up front and the other half when I left the state. I have actually been gone for weeks now. They refuse to give me the other half of my severance because my truck is still parked on the estate in the yard of one of my friends who rents there. What can I do?

1 answer  |  asked Feb 21, 2010 12:46 PM [EST]  |  applies to New York

Answers (1)

Chinyere Okoronkwo
If an employee has entered into a written agreement with his or her employer, it is prudent to consult an attorney to review the terms of the agreement, so as to ascertain the extent of the parties’ contractual rights and obligations, if any.

DISCLAIMER - Ms. Okoronkwo’s response does not create an attorney-client relationship.

posted by Chinyere Okoronkwo  |  Mar 1, 2010 6:14 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers