Question about employment law

I will be entering law school next year and very interested in employment law. I wanted to know where employment lawyers are usually employed or are they mainly in private practice?

2 answers  |  asked Jul 7, 2003 8:13 PM [EST]  |  applies to California

Answers (2)

Joan Herrington
Questions about Employment Law

You should consider joining National Employment Lawyers Association and any state affiliate in the state where you intend to practice. There are generally discounts for student membership and scholarships to attend the annual conference. This way you can network for summer interships with those who are most likely able to help you.

posted by Joan Herrington  |  Jul 9, 2003 1:10 PM [EST]
Janet M. Koehn

plaintiff's employment lawyers by and large practice in small firms or as solo practitioners. for someone starting out, the best option is to clerk or extern in one of these firms. it's hard to get started all on your own, most especially if you are weighted down with heavy law school debts.

in the public sector there are a number of organizations that have large employment law components, such as the disability rights group at loyola law school. many of these organizations are in northern california. you also can clerk or extern at one of these organizations.

your employment law professor should be able to help you zero in on a good option for your skills. also, check with national and california employment lawyers associations which both have law student membership options.

good luck in law school
janet m. koehn

posted by Janet M. Koehn  |  Jul 8, 2003 12:20 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?