Overtime claim against an employer

I have worked for c contractor for two years that refused to pay to his hourly employees overtime on hours worked over 40 in a work week. Do I have any recourse to collect on the loss of overtime pay from him

1 answer  |  asked Apr 2, 2005 8:32 PM [EST]  |  applies to Ohio

Answers (1)

Neil Klingshirn
How to pursue an overtime claim

If you worked more than 40 hours in a week, were not exempt from overtime and did not get paid overtime, you have two and possibly three years to file a complaint with the U.S. department of Labor ("DOL") or to file a private lawsuit. Therefore, you should go to the DOL or consult an attorney quickly, as it appears that your two years will begin to expire soon.

If you want an idea as to what you might be able to claim, email the following information to me:

The name of the employer.
Your beginning and ending dates.

Your average hours worked each week (if seasonal, provide seasonal averages and beginning and end dates for the seasons) and

Your average weekly compensation (adjusted for seasonal variations, if appropriate).


Neil Klingshirn

posted by Neil Klingshirn  |  Apr 4, 2005 09:58 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Contact Neil Klingshirn

Neil Klingshirn
AV rated Super Lawyer and Employment Law Specialist
Independence, OH
Phone: 216-382-2500