My supervisor informed me by email a month ago, that my job was eliminated.I haven't received any separation papers. What is my recourse?

I've been employed in Phila., Pa, for 34 yrs. at a hospital. Supervisor emailed me a month ago stating that my job was eliminated. At that time, I was working at home. I haven't been notified for an exit interview, and I haven't been asked to come in to sign anything. What is my recourse?
Also, this was my part-time job. I, also have a full-time job. Can I collect any form of unemployment for the loss of the part-time job?

2 answers  |  asked Dec 18, 2015 1:24 PM [EST]  |  applies to Pennsylvania

Answers (2)

Christopher Ezold
Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies, unless otherwise specified.

That being said, you don't have a legal right to an exit interview or documentation. You do have a legal right not to be treated differently than other employees due to your race, gender, age, disability, religion, etc., and to a reasonable accommodation for disability and religious issues. If you believe you were treated differently than other, similarly situated employees due to your protected characteristics, speak with an attorney ASAP, as you have 300 days to bring a federal claim and only 180 days to bring a state claim on these issues.

/Christopher E. Ezold/

posted by Christopher Ezold  |  Dec 19, 2015 08:40 AM [EST]
Doris Dabrowski
If you have evidence that stated reason of job elimination is a pretext for discrimination based on age, sex, race, national origin, religion, or disability or retaliation for protected activity, you may file with the EEOC and Philadelphia or Pa. Human Relations Commission. If the Hospital owes you wages or benefits for work performed, you may file a wage payment claim.

A complete answer requires an analysis of the detailed facts of your situation.

posted by Doris Dabrowski  |  Dec 18, 2015 2:36 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers