Money with held because of loss of client

I was a contract employee, doing web development and design for an employer. I had been working for the company a little less than 3 months. My employer had handed me projects that were months behind deadline, and expected me to have them finished in a short amount of time, with no good resources to finish the project. I was unable to get a project finished in time, before a client decided that he wanted his money refunded by my employer. My employer then terminated me, he is now withholding one weeks pay from me, saying that I have cost him money. He says that if I want him to pay me for that week, he will deduct what I've cost him from my check, which would be more than I would get paid. Is he legally able to do this? Are there any free resources out there to help me get my money. It is very crucial for me right now, because my wife is ready to give birth to our second child any day now, we desperately need the money. Any help would be appreciated.

1 answer  |  asked Jun 6, 2007 6:19 PM [EST]  |  applies to Tennessee

Answers (1)

Alan Crone
An honest day's work for an honest day's pay

The short answer is: he has to pay you. It may be a little difficult if he does not have the money to pay you. You can take him to small claims court and represent yourself, but I would not recommend it. I recommend finding a lawyer who is experienced in employment law matters.

posted by Alan Crone  |  Jun 7, 2007 08:53 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers