I need to know if I have been wrongfully terminated and what my options are.

I have been recently terminated from my job. They wrote dishonesty as the reason. I had used gift cards for purchases for work which usually they have a company card but there was not one available. A corporate supervisor had given them to me and did not ask I keep reciepts at all. I am an hourly employee and did shopping on my own time. Some items I got along wth my own purchases and did not get a seperate reciept. Another employee at a related company had been give gift cards to use and did not have to have any reciepts. However my new supervisor was constantly questioning me about my work. I accounted for all the purchases but they said I used poor judgement. I was never instructed to get reciepts and to my knowledge there are no policies regarding this issue. I also put a donation to a charity in the same way I had done for the charity the last time in 10/09. The charity does not accept cash so the charity said I could do it on line with credit card. I used my own both times. Now I am being accuse of being dishonest. I had not had any prior diciplinary actions and had been a dedicated and loyal employee for three and a half years. To my knowledge there is no policy on this either. Thank you.

1 answer  |  asked Feb 21, 2011 6:17 PM [EST]  |  applies to Ohio

Answers (1)

Bruce Elfvin
In terms of a wrongful discharge it is not easy to distinguish what is wrong and what is illegal. A wrongful discharge has to be based on an illegal reason, such as wrongful because of racial discrimination, or gender discrimination or age, etc. The use of gift cards and the accusations may be a discharge for the convenience of your employer and result in you receiving unemployment benefits, but may not allow for a wrongful discharge claim.

You can consult an employment lawyer near you and select one at www.oelasmart.net/directory

posted by Bruce Elfvin  |  Feb 22, 2011 4:06 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?