I am currently working at a Plainview, NY location, my company filed bankruptcy and the company that took over is moving us to their Great Neck location. I am a paraplegic and my 81 yr old mother drives me to work and it would be too much for her to drive

As I mentioned I can not go to the Great Neck office because my mother drives me since I am disabled and can not take me to that location and get to her job in time. I want to know if I can get unemployment.

1 answer  |  asked Jan 31, 2016 6:47 PM [EST]  |  applies to New York

Answers (1)

V Jonas Urba
Your situation sounds like good cause for not relocating. Provide medical documentation of your condition to DOL if they request it. Call them and explain your situation and ask them if they need it.

If the new company is big enough or has enough employees maybe they can arrange for transportation for you. Have you asked them in writing to do so? Would providing transportation for you be an undue hardship for them? If not they may have to accommodate your disability by transporting you to your new worksite. Can you work remotely? Have you asked them? Have you engaged in an "interactive process" with them to see what they may be able to do for you? Good luck.

posted by V Jonas Urba  |  Apr 25, 2016 10:56 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm

more Virginia Employment Lawyers