How do I get compisated for being in hospital then let go with no other position

Hi. In the past 3 weeks I was hospitalized for a week and sent home on bed rest for the next 2 weeks. I immediately told my manager when I was in the hospital sent him a Dr note and a release note when I was able to go back to work. I was told they had to fill the position and my manager would put me at a different location. I have not been assigned to another location and I am not sure what is going on. I have not worked in the last 4 weeks and I would like to know what I need to do. Do I find another job? Do I go on unemployment. If I could please get any advice it would be much appreched Thank you daniel schron

1 answer  |  asked Oct 19, 2017 02:55 AM [EST]  |  applies to Florida

Answers (1)

Phyllis Towzey
First of all, you need to confirm with your employer what your employment status is. If they are not responding to your phone calls, send an email or a letter mentioning that you previously sent the doctor's release to return to work (enclose another copy), that you were originally told you would be reassigned to another position, and that you have not heard anything. Say that you want to return to work immediately but if you don't head back from them within the next few days you will have no choice but to assume that you have been let go, and you will file for unemployment, and begin looking for another job.

The situation is a little different if your absence was covered by FMLA. To qualify, you would need to have been working there for 12 months and they need to have 50 or more employees within a 75 mile radius of where you worked. If that's the case, then you should remind them that under the FMLA they were required to hold your job or a comparable position for 12 weeks. If they are refusing to allow you to return to work in violation of the FMLA, then I recommend you consult an attorney.

posted by Phyllis Towzey  |  Oct 19, 2017 08:31 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?