Have a non compete agreement issue, can you help?

I worked at a Baseball/Softball training facility for 3 years. I had to sign a non compete. The form stated that if after quitting or fired I can not do the same style of work for 1 year or 18m in a 50 or 100 mile radius.
I quit this job to go to a completely different market, teaching. I waited the year and did no work of the similar kind from my old job. When I emailed my former employer about the correct time line I got the runaround and the comment that my non compete is still valid. The only way I see it valid is if it was 18m instead of a year. But another concern is that my former employer will not show me the non compete I signed.
So with that if the former employer can not come up with the form, and it has been in the time frame of the agreement, can the former employer hold me accountable for competing with them?

1 answer  |  asked May 3, 2009 11:46 PM [EST]  |  applies to Texas

Answers (1)

Christopher McKinney
Enforce Noncompete

If you did not keep a copy of the noncompete you signed then you will need to get a copy from your employer so that an employment attorney can review it for you. If your employer refuses to give you a copy then your best option is to hire a lawyer. He or she will be able to get a copy for you.

posted by Christopher McKinney  |  May 4, 2009 09:26 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?