Does a company have to represent you, if you no longer work for that company?

If you file a complaint respondent superior, and later someone else file a similar complaint against the same company. If the place where the incident happened close and 2 defendants are not longer working for the company. the questions is on the second lawsuit which was filed, Does the company have an obligation to defend the 2 non-employees? Or do they have to seek their own attorneys?

1 answer  |  asked Oct 9, 2005 12:06 PM [EST]  |  applies to Texas

Answers (1)

Margaret A. Harris
Get a Lawyer

I'm not certain I understand your situation. If you have been sued individually, take the lawsuit papers and go to a lawyer IMMEDIATELY. Do not expect that someone else is going to be watching out for your interests.

Some companies buy insurance coverage that will protect both it and its employees if it/they are sued, but this kind of insurance is not cheap. So, I would not count on it being there if I were you.

posted by Margaret A. Harris  |  Oct 9, 2005 12:26 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers