Company owner sexually harasses and discriminates

I work for a small company where the owner sexually harasses the females in the office by staring, touching, etc. No one that is currently employed there will bring anything to his attention for fear of losing their job. When a female ex-coworker brought up issues when she quit, he immediately said that she brought up things that could harm his business-he admitted it. There is total male favortism with wages, promotions, and overtime. These subjects are our main topic during breaks, mostly how uncomfortable we feel in that office. We are all younger females (mostly under 25) and feel taken advantage of. I just need to know what I can do. I am not even really interested in money, I just want him to get in trouble.

4 answers  |  asked Apr 2, 2001 5:14 PM [EST]  |  applies to California

Answers (4)

Abraham Goldman
Company owner sexual harassment

You & the other women don't have to take this abuse. There seem to be very stong grounds here for a hostile environment case. This is a classic situation where the owner just is out of control.
One person filing a case can make the difference; if more join in, the better. A jury can stop this by awarding substantial damages, and the law gives a judge the power to enter an injunction.

I have handled many such cases & would be happy to help.

Abraham Goldman

posted by Abraham Goldman  |  Apr 7, 2001 1:20 PM [EST]
Janet M. Koehn
wage favoritism

in addition to the above answers (you can contact me as well), you may have a claim for overtime and for unequal wages under the Equal Pay Act. dontact the department of labor standards enforcement (in the state of california pages of your phone book) or contact an attorney experienced in employment law to help you. good luck janet m. koehn

posted by Janet M. Koehn  |  Apr 2, 2001 11:48 PM [EST]
Richard J. Vaznaugh
Sexual Harassment

If you are interested in pursuing a lawsuit, please call me and we can talk about the facts. Otherwise, the DFEH or the Federal Equal Employement Opportunity Commission are good options to make a complaint on your own.

posted by Richard J. Vaznaugh  |  Apr 2, 2001 6:37 PM [EST]
George Allen
Sexual Harassment

You can file a complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment & Housing. They're in the phone book. Please note that it is illegal for your employer to take action against anyone for filing a complaint about sex. harr.

posted by George Allen  |  Apr 2, 2001 6:29 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers