Changing Attorneys

I am currently represented by an attorney on a contingency basis on an employment law case; however, I want to use a different attorney. This subject is not addressed in the signed agreement. Can I advise the first attorney that I want to terminate his services and request a release?

1 answer  |  asked May 13, 2003 6:45 PM [EST]  |  applies to Texas

Answers (1)

Margaret A. Harris
Terminating a Lawyer

Of course you may choose the attorney with whom you wish to work. I suggest talking to your current lawyer to (1) make sure that the problem you are having is not one that could be fixed and (2) discuss the fact that you wish other counsel. Depending on the lawyer and the amount of work already done on your case, and maybe depending as well on the reason you wish to change lawyers, your current lawyer may release you from further financial obligations. It depends on a number of factors, but the first thing to do is start a dialog.

posted by Margaret A. Harris  |  May 14, 2003 11:32 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?