Can my employer change my position from part time to full time

I have been working at my company for 10 years. The last 5 of those years have been part time (24 hrs per week). I was told on Monday that they no longer want part timers and that I can come full time or leave in 2 weeks. Can they do that so suddenly? If I don't accept can I receive unemployment? Last year they move several of us employees to an office 35 miles from my home so even remaining part time has been difficult.

1 answer  |  asked Feb 9, 2011 2:47 PM [EST]  |  applies to Illinois

Answers (1)

Kristen Prinz
Generally, to be found eligible for unemployment benefits, you must be unemployed through no fault of your own, have earned wages, be available for new work, and be actively seeking work. In your situation, you are currently employed and earning wages. If you were to apply for unemployment benefits after leaving your current job, any changes to your current status due to the situation you described would be reviewed by the Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES). In its review, IDES would decide if the company “fired” you by eliminating your position and letting you go, if the company had fired you for a reason, or if you had simply refused to take a transfer and “quit.” This decision would significantly impact your eligibility. Also, if you left your job, you would be required to show documentation that you are looking for a new job.
If you have further questions, you should contact an attorney directly.

posted by Kristen Prinz  |  Feb 20, 2011 12:27 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm

more Virginia Employment Lawyers