Problem with my private employer

Hi, I am currently having a problem with my employer. I work for a private construction crew that is run by 3 people in the same family. I am owed payments that date from as far back to 10/04/06 to 11/20/06. Although I have been payed minor amounts about every two weeks, I have bils to pay and I am only recieving about $100. As of right now they owe me approx $900. This money is needed though soon because I am about to travel back home. So what should I do to get them to pay up?

1 answer  |  asked Dec 14, 2006 3:05 PM [EST]  |  applies to New York

Answers (1)

David M. Lira
Payment of Wages

Under New York State law, employers are required to pay wages promptly. I beleive the law says wages have to be paid within 15 days after the end of the pay period.

If an employer fails to pay, you can file a complaint with the New York State Department of Labor. You can also go to court.

An employer might be required to pay a premium above the amount owed ("liquidated damages") of 25 percent of the amount owed. In addition, the employer might have to pay the employee's attorney's fees.

posted by David M. Lira  |  Dec 15, 2006 07:44 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm

more Virginia Employment Lawyers