Non payment of work accomplished as a 1099 contractor

I have some outstanding invoices that the company accounts payable person says is in the mail and it never arrives. They owe me over 2000 and their false statements regarding payments are frustrating. What rights do I have? Small claims? I continue to try and communicate with the organization but receive nothing back but stalling.
David Chestnut

1 answer  |  asked Oct 10, 2012 10:37 AM [EST]  |  applies to Texas

Answers (1)

Jill J. Weinberg
Are you truly a 1099 contractor (for ex. do you run your own business, advertise, do work for more than one company; make your own hours of work)? Or did the company just treat you as a 1099 person? If you were improperly classified as a 1099 worker you may be entitled to more than $2000 if you worked overtime. A lawyer may help you obtain unpaid overtime. If you are truly a 1099 contractor, you may also go to small claims court and the court may provide you the forms for filing a lawsuit and offer directions for how to proceed.

posted by Jill J. Weinberg  |  Oct 10, 2012 1:39 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers