My employer is closing his business but would like me to continue this business from home including storage.. Am I entitled to regular salary and do I charge him for storage?

I work for the insurance company so I need to hold the records for several years. I will be taking computers and servers in case the insurance needs records from me.

1 answer  |  asked Feb 7, 2017 08:44 AM [EST]  |  applies to New York

Answers (1)

V Jonas Urba
Wow. Sounds like a loaded question. Short answer is what have you agreed to do for the employer?

Employees generally work certain hours that their employer tells them they have to work. The employer exercises lots of CONTROL over them.

Independent contractors generally do the job how, when, and wherever they want to and at their own discretion.

Will you incorporate a business to protect yourself? Will your employer compensate you for all the risk you are accepting? What if a hurricane or other natural disaster destroys the records who will be subject to liability?

You really should have a lawyer advise you on this. Your question is complex and it sounds like you are accepting lots of responsibility and hopefully will be paid lots of money with someone paying lots of insurance premium to cover any and all potential liability. Good luck.

posted by V Jonas Urba  |  Feb 7, 2017 2:14 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers