Independent contractor salesperson in California

I know that real estate brokers hire agents as independent contractors and pay them commission only. Plus, they pay worker's comp and maybe some errors and omissions insurance.

I'd like to hire a salesperson for my small company to take some of the burden off of me. Can I hire a salesperson, similar to a real estate agent in California, treating them similarly?


Robert Hall

1 answer  |  asked Jan 3, 2005 12:22 AM [EST]  |  applies to California

Answers (1)

Janet M. Koehn
talk to a lawyer

one of the costs of doing business is the cost of seeing that your business is operated legally. if you are in a position to hire employees, you need advice to make sure you comply with the many, many california labor laws. you should be consulting an attorney experienced in labor management issues, or an independent personnel management company, to answer your question in light of the particular circumstances of your company. paying for the cost of an attorney's time, an hour at most, will go a long way toward preventing edd audits or lawsuits down the road. this is not a place where you should be cutting costs.
there are many qualified attorneys in your area. you can find one by checking with the los angeles county bar association, or with one of the many personnel management trade associations in california.
good luck

posted by Janet M. Koehn  |  Jan 3, 2005 10:06 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers