I worked for a major company for 13 years. I quit my job so that my fiance' could get a higher paying job at the same company in human resources, because I was a union worker and was told it would be a conflict of interest. I later applied for a company j

I worked a union job for a major company for 13 years and quit so that my fiance' could get a human resource job at the same company making 6 figures. I applied for a company job and was told that I got it and was the most qualified of all the applicants. 2 weeks later my wife came home and told me that I did not get the job. We have since divorced and I think that she had to do with me not getting the job. I liked working there and it was good benefits. Is it legal for me not to get the job just because of my wife working in human resources?

1 answer  |  asked Feb 11, 2016 6:51 PM [EST]  |  applies to New York

Answers (1)

V Jonas Urba
You state that you quit to permit your wife to work there. There is nothing wrong with that. However, if you were attempting to circumvent "conflict of interest policies" of the employer how would you attribute that to your wife. Most HR persons lack authority to make those types of policies. However if you applied at a different company and your ex defamed or gave false information to another potential employer then you might have a claim (assuming she did that, you can prove it, and her false information caused your non-hiring.

Your question sounds closer to divorce law where you would request some amount of money from your ex for the sacrifice you made of quitting your union job to permit het to secure a six figure income. Good luck.

posted by V Jonas Urba  |  Feb 12, 2016 10:19 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Have an Employment Law question?