How to get copy of a signed non-compete aggreement from former employer

I have asked my former employer for a copy of a signed non-compete agreement during pre and post-employment period. Former employer is not giving me a copy of signed non-compete agreement. How can I get a copy? Former employer is saying I have signed one but I think I have not signed any.

1 answer  |  asked Feb 16, 2012 10:17 AM [EST]  |  applies to New York

Answers (1)

Jim Barna
This is a good question as former employers sometimes bluff former employees into thinking that there is a valid noncompetition agreement when there may not be an applicable agreement.

The best way to get information about the agreement is to send a letter to the former employer requesting information about the agreement and CC it to your personal attorney (make sure that it is apparent from the letter that it is going to your attorney). Follow up with the former employer a few days after they have received the letter. They should be willing at that point to give you a copy of the agreement, or to admit that there is no binding agreement.

Barring that, a letter directly from your attorney should do the trick.

posted by Jim Barna  |  Feb 16, 2012 11:01 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?