Employer breaking signed contract

I moved from California to Ohio to take a job with a local car dealership as a mechanic. I had a signed 1 year contract with the service manager stating that they would pay for my specific training with Audi in Pennsylvania. When I finished my training I returned and the dealer said that there was no longer a spot for me there. My contract stated my rate of pay and other benefits. I am now left with no money and no job. Can I seek to get the dealer to pay for moving expenses and loss of income from them breaking this contract?

2 answers  |  asked Mar 12, 2004 1:44 PM [EST]  |  applies to Ohio

Answers (2)

Neil Klingshirn
If your contract was for one year of employment, you should have a valid claim

Believe it or not, an employer in Ohio can entice an employee to pull up stakes in one state to move here with the expectation of having a job, and then pull the job out from under them. However, the exception to this rule is when the employer promises a specific term of employment. In that case, you should be entitled to your damages for the employer's breach, which would include lost wages and possibly the moving costs.

If you want me to review your contract, we offer an initial consultation for $200. Call Julie at 330.665.5445, ext. 0 and she will set up an appointment.

Best regards,


posted by Neil Klingshirn  |  Mar 18, 2004 3:41 PM [EST]
Ann Lugbill
Breach of Contract

You are entitled to sue for breach of contract and damages caused by the breach. You should contact an attorney in your area to pursue this. Neil Klingshirn who sponsors this website is in your area. Other attorneys' names can be located on the Ohio Employment Lawyers Association website.

In any breach of contract action you must "mitigate damages" and must show, among other things, that you have been actively looking for other work and accept comparable work if offered to you.

Ann Lugbill

posted by Ann Lugbill  |  Mar 12, 2004 1:57 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Contact Neil Klingshirn

Neil Klingshirn
AV rated Super Lawyer and Employment Law Specialist
Independence, OH
Phone: 216-382-2500