What action can I take against Lowe's for paying my male coworkers more for doing the same exact job

I transferred from one Lowe's to another within the state of NH and was forced to take a pay cut. Now I learned that male coworkers in the same job are being paid more even though I have more skills ie: *I* have licenses for all the fork lifts and can rekey locks, etc.

1 answer  |  asked Nov 9, 2009 06:29 AM [EST]  |  applies to New Hampshire

Answers (1)

Neil Klingshirn
Federal law requires employers to pay members of one sex equal pay for equal work performed by a member of the other sex. It is called the Equal Pay Act. You can file a charge of discrimination with the EEOC, who will investigate.

You may have a similar right under state law. If so, it may have better remedies than the federal equal pay law. Check with an employment lawyer in New Hampshire.

posted by Neil Klingshirn  |  Nov 9, 2009 07:14 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Have an Employment Law question?

Contact Neil Klingshirn

Neil Klingshirn
AV rated Super Lawyer and Employment Law Specialist
Independence, OH
Phone: 216-382-2500