My name on the schedule has been changed to something offensive, does this fall under defamation?

I've been employed at a local restaurant for nearly 3 years. I recently took a 2 week vacation, upon my return I found my name on our schedule had been changed to "Piece of sh**" and my hours cut by %80. I talked with my kitchen manager who assured me the problem would be solved by the end of the day, that was 2 days ago and nothing has changed. I have left several voice mails on the owners phone and have not heard back. Needless to say I am rather uncomfortable with returning to work, but I am unsure on how to proceed. Can someone point me in the right direction? thanks -**

1 answer  |  asked Aug 25, 2010 6:06 PM [EST]  |  applies to Ohio

Answers (1)

Bruce Elfvin
The major difficulty you will have is that the actual person who did the change probably isn't worth pursuing. the employer has an obligation to correct this and should promptly. When it comes to defamation an employer enjoys a qualified immunity and unless you can show that management did the publication, they will have wiggle room to escape. You should see an attorney if this is not addressed to your satisfaction this week.

You can talk to an employment lawyer near you by going to

posted by Bruce Elfvin  |  Aug 26, 2010 07:09 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?