Dismissed for conflict in personalities

Can I be terminated due to a conflict of personalities? Yesterday I was dismissed by my employer. I was told that my work was good. He even offered to write me a letter or recommendation. He said his decision to let me go centered around my "social skills." He was troubled that I didn't eat lunch with the rest of the staff every day and that I was too isolated. His only other defense of this action was that he had spoken to some vendors who labeled me as difficult to work with. (He did admit that none of them openly said that. He had to pry it out of them.) I called one of our vendors who indicated that she had not spoken to him. I am guessing that because OH is an at will state there's nothing I can do - but I wanted to be sure. Tahnk you for your time.

2 answers  |  asked Apr 3, 2001 07:51 AM [EST]  |  applies to Ohio

Answers (2)

Neil Klingshirn
Could "personality conflict" be a pretext for discrimination?

If your employer's reason is the real reason, then Tom is correct. The law does not provide a remedy for terminations based on personality conflict. However, your employer's reason sounds fishy. Why did he have to pry complaints from his vendors? Also, why did he fail to counsel you about this issue, especially if it was so serious that it could lead to your termination?

When your employer gives you a phony reason for your termination to cover up unlawful discrimination, the law calls it "pretext." Prove pretext (i.e., that the stated reason is phony) and you may have enough evidence of discrimination to establish a claim.

That said, evaluate how much a claim for losing your job is worth. Most employment suits cost $30K to $50K to pursue to jury verdict. Also, proving pretext is difficult. Therefore, if you have nothing more than a sense that the reason given to you is bogus and viable options for other employment, pursue unemployment compensation until you land the other job.

posted by Neil Klingshirn  |  Apr 3, 2001 11:04 AM [EST]
Thomas A. Sobecki
Your employment law question

You are correct. Since you are not alleging discrimination, there is nothing that you can do other than apply for unemployment compensation.

posted by Thomas A. Sobecki  |  Apr 3, 2001 08:16 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Contact Neil Klingshirn

Neil Klingshirn
AV rated Super Lawyer and Employment Law Specialist
Independence, OH
Phone: 216-382-2500