Can an employer hire an employee for a policy violation which is not enforced equally to everyone?

I was recently fired from the Department of Youth Services for policy violations which are not followed by other employees. Do I have any rights for following common practice instead of written policy? I am not in a union therefore I have no union rep.

1 answer  |  asked Jun 30, 2013 04:17 AM [EST]  |  applies to Ohio

Answers (1)

Bruce Elfvin
Unfortunately, the true answer is it all depends on whether the other people retained give you a basis for claiming that you were treated differently in an unlawful manner. There are also avenues to appeal within the state system, even if you are not covered by a union.

You really need to see an employment lawyer and discuss all the circumstances. You can select one at

posted by Bruce Elfvin  |  Jun 30, 2013 11:07 AM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?

Virginia Employment Lawyers

Sheri Abrams Sheri Abrams
Sheri R. Abrams PLLC
Oakton, VA
Matthew Kaplan Matthew Kaplan
The Kaplan Law Firm
Matthew Sutter Matthew Sutter
Sutter & Terpak, PLLC
Annandale, VA
Gerald Lutkenhaus Gerald Lutkenhaus
Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer
Richmond, VA
Edward Lowry Edward Lowry
Charlottesville, VA

more Virginia Employment Lawyers