Can an employer force a transfer w/o compensation?

I was hired in Plant A as a non exempt employee. When times are tough in Plant A, the company requires a couple employees to transfer to Plant B indefinitely(usually a few months but some people have been there for years), if Plant B is busy enough. Plant B is located an hour and fifteen minutes away under normal circumstances. They used to pay us our hourly rate and allow us to use a company vehicle to get there and back daily. One day they decided that they would no longer allow us to use that vehicle and at the same time they were no longer going to pay us to travel to plant B. They did say that they would pay one person(mileage not hourly) to drive their personal car and the others could ride along without any compensation. Is it legal for them to not pay us to travel to the other plant? Can I refuse to do this and have a case for unemployment?

1 answer  |  asked Mar 11, 2011 3:19 PM [EST]  |  applies to Ohio

Answers (1)

Bruce Elfvin
In general your scenario has the employer with a lack of work at Plant A, then offers work at Plant B if there is enough work. As an employee, the question becomes should or is the company required to pay you for time not worked. If you deline to go to Plant B you need to be sure what the deal will be when work picks up at Plant A. In general I do not think that you are required to be paid for the travel time to work. You may get unemployment for refusing, but you may not get recalled unless there is a union contract.

posted by Bruce Elfvin  |  Mar 11, 2011 3:48 PM [EST]

Answer This Question

Sign In to Answer this Question

Related Questions with Answers

Have an Employment Law question?